WED AUG 01, 2018 | | POSTED IN: ODD NEWS | SOURCE
Don’t get burned by a trendy liquid nitrogen-dipped cereal dubbed Dragon’s Breath — that can melt your mouth and internal organs, Suffolk County health officials warned.
The cold treat — which tastes like Fruit Loops and causes those eating it to exhale smoke-like condensed moisture — can cause frostbite, skin tissue damage and suffocation, Suffolk County Commissioner of Health Services James Tomarken said in a statement.
“If an item infused with liquid nitrogen is prepared or consumed incorrectly, it could have harmful health consequences,” he said. “Liquid nitrogen can cause damage to a person’s skin and internal organs and, if inhaled, it can cause asphyxiation (lack of oxygen).”
The frosty dessert has sparked a flurry of Youtube and Instagram videos — often posted by teenagers — showing off their “smoke” breathing techniques in recent months.
But the chemical’s extremely low temperature — between negative 196 and negative 320 degrees — puts people at risk when it’s not completely removed, Tomarken said.
He issued the warning after the state health department sent out a memo in June noting the fad food had already injured several people.
“Instances of frostbite and tissue damage have been reported when residual liquid nitrogen is left in the serving cup. If fingers are used to remove the product from the cup, skin contact with liquid nitrogen can cause frostbite,” the state health department said.
“Ingestion of liquid nitrogen can cause severe damage to the mouth, esophagus, and stomach. Preparing the puffs in a manner that removes residual liquid nitrogen prior to serving effectively reduces the potential for injury.”
In October, a 14-year-old Florida girl was hospitalized with a severe burn on her thumb after she touched one of the frigid treats while it was being prepared.